Discussion forum for members of the Massachusetts Bay Organizational Development Learning Group

Thursday, February 05, 2009

Change Management in this current economic situation.

I won the prize drawing at the last Program Meeting on Jan 27. In order to claim this prize, I must post a note to the blog. That got me to finally try out blogging, something I've thought about doing but never made the time. For me, it involves breaking out of my shell and doing something different. Which brings me to the subject at hand: change. I was prompted to make a change and do something different by something that happened (winning the prize). Would I have done this if that didn't happen? Perhaps something else would have happened to prompt me to do it. Perhaps my thoughts would have changed as a result of some experience, leading me to blog. The point is that change in experience (physical, mental, environmental, etc.) leads to change in behavior. This is well understood by change memnegement practitioners. So, as to the question of how the current economic situation will affect change management practices: I do not think the economic situation will substantially alter change management practices. We have a situation that has created some significant experiences for many people and organizations. That will prompt changing thoughts which will change behaviors. Some will be more open to changing, many by sheer necessity. This may allow change management practices (and practioners) to have more influence and credibility. However, the basics of these practices will remain the same. Things like recognizing and dealing with resistance will still have to be done. Coaching people to acknowledge and use their resilience will continue to be an essential skill for change management professionals. We will still have to work from where the client is and not where we think they should be. The big difference is that there may be more willingness on the part of clients to use the services of change managers and/or thier tools. But let's not forget that people are still people and organizations are still organizations. Changing them will still require a solid understanding and prudent use of the basics.

I'm Grant.

1 Comments:

Blogger Betty Doo said...

Believing that "necessity is the mother of invention" I think the current economic situation may very well change how business is being conducted. One area which may be effected is technology.

The whole social media/web 2.0 stuff is starting to really catch on and maybe it will lead to permanent changes. No, it is not a panacea. Yes, there are likely some downsides (too much twittering can be a distraction, I'm sure). But I see more openness to using technology as a tool for collaboration and communication, which is an asset. Many people are hesitant to embrace technology that is foreign. The reality of Virtual Teams, who need to meet, share knowledge, and arrive at decisions in a timely manner, coupled with the high cost of travel (time and money) will lead to a more sophisticated and effective use of technology, IMHO.

2:51 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home